Phone: 0808 278 7992

Benefits and Coronavirus

Here are the latest links and resources for coronavirus and benefits.

If you already claim benefits

All face to face assessments or appointments at the Jobcentre have been postponed until at least 19 June 2020.  This includes interviews for Universal Credit claims, medical assessments for PIP and appointments with your work coach.

The Jobcentre may still ask to talk to you by phone.

Do not attend the Jobcentre if you are ill or self-isolating but do update your online journal or call the office.  If you are on benefits already and your income has dropped let the Jobcentre and local council know as soon as possible.

You will not be expected to look for or be available for work if you have coronavirus or are self-isolating.

If you are struggling to pay your bills, you might be able to get extra help.

If you need to claim benefits

If you are earning less because you can’t go to work or because you have lost your job then you may be able to claim benefits.

Statutory Sick Pay

If you are an employee and you get ill or need to self-isolate you may be entitled to SSP which is paid in the same way as your wages.

You must be earning more than £118 a week but check your employment contract as some employers will pay more sick pay than the statutory minimum.

Inform your employer as soon as you know you are not going to be able to work.  If your employer asks for proof you can get an online self-isolation note from the NHS.

More detail can be found on

What if you are self-employed?

You cannot claim SSP if you are self-employed but you may be able to claim contribution based Employment Support Allowance (ESA) if you have coronavirus, you are self-isolating or you are caring for a child who is.  You must have paid enough National Insurance contributions for the last two tax years.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces the ‘legacy’ benefits: Housing benefit, Child & Working tax credits, Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support and income related Employment and Support Allowance.

If you already claim any of these benefits it may be worth checking with an adviser before moving over to Universal Credit.

You can work and still claim Universal Credit, your UC will reduce the more you earn.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be aged 18-60
  • Live in the UK
  • Have less than £16,000 in savings

Applications must be made online (unless you have don’t have internet access, have a disability or sight problems).

Apply as soon as you can (but wait until after any final wages/holiday pay have been paid or this will be counted as income)

You may make a joint claim if you live with your partner however you will both need to make separate accounts.

You will need to create a username and password – one you can remember!

What you need to make an application

  • Bank details
  • Email address
  • Information on your income and outgoings
    • Rent or mortgage payments
    • Payslips
    • Any savings or investments (must be less than £16k)
    • Childcare costs
  • You will need to be able to verify your identity online

Citizens Advice Help to Claim – for advice and support on making a claim 0800 144 8444

DWP Universal Credit Helpline 0800 328 5644


Other benefits

Council Tax Reduction

Contribution based Jobseekers Allowance (if you have paid National Insurance for the last 2 years)




Share this page: